Friday 7 September 2012

A blustery bakey-day (in a cheeky cheaty way).

The sun was cheery and warm when I woke up at 6.15 this morning and tiptoed around the house until the kids woke up. But oh my lordy, by mid-morning gloomy clouds had gathered over neighbouring Mini-Mordor (my name for the mountain near our house which has a mine on top) and soon the misty, swirly rain was falling intermittently, broken only by petulant gusts of wind.
 
 

I was, however, in the mind to bake, but since I don't have any unsalted butter that put about 80% of the things I considered baking out of reach. I did have a cheat's packet chocolate cake in the pantry which I whipped up, but this put me in the mind to lunch as Nellie began to bug me about being hungry.

 
Lo and behold! A cheat's packet of pancake mix also in the pantry. Inspired by this recipe for Spicy Pumpkin Pancakes and being in possession of a big pumpkin (the local shops tend to only sell them whole so pumpkin is on the family menu for a while) I made some kid-friendly Spicy Pumpkin Pikelets! A perfect treaty-vegie-quicky type of lunch.

A touch of nutmeg, cinnamon and a clove, crushed to a powder with the blade of a big knife added the spicy bit. The best part was that the pumpkin adds enough moisture that they were sweet and delicious even without buttering!

A successful bakey day, in a cheaty sort of way!

No comments:

Post a Comment